scaredycat

My first 12 days of ownership

Hi, its close to a year since i had the XE. I am enjoying my drive everyday, however i have been upset after i sent the car for the 1st servicing at 15000 KM. Before i bring that up, here are some annoyances. 1) Squeaking steering wheel if you adjust it outside of its original position 2) Squeaking sound from the drivers door hinge 3) Slight rattling from the drivers's window when going below 30KM/H 4) The sound of the drivers door closing seems to be getting louder whenever i close it, unbecoming of a CONTI car 5) Boot door closes with a "thud" sound at times 6) Intermittent ECO Start Stop. These are the issues i informed WEARNS when i hand them my car.

My bad experience started the moment i received my car.  The boot is not align, the left side is higher that the right, the "thud" sound still calls out to me. Upon starting the engine, the "Need Servicing" message still greets me. The car seat sensor totally freak out, there were no indication of me sitting on the drivers seat and no alarm, however when i get out of the car, the digital display shows that someone is sitting on it. This applies to all the other seats. ECO Start Stop has permanently stopped. The tires are not evenly pressured as well. I wished i had not sent it for servicing. 

Can you imagine all these were spotted by me after MM return my car? Not the Servicing and Maintainence crew........ I find it a lack of Professionalism from these people. I wonder if there is a checklist that they follow or they are just doing it by feel. Due to my job, i am still unable to sent it back for rectification.

This is not a complain message, i am just giving the rest of you some awareness. If anyone of you can PM me on who i can talk to from their management please do. Thanks.

Well, my XE still rocks, and can overtake any, in a jiffy  :D cheers.

Bro ur Eco auto stop is stop intentionally or they accidentally stopped it permanently? I'm hoping to kill this function.

Bro ur Eco auto stop is stop intentionally or they accidentally stopped it permanently? I'm hoping to kill this function.

I don't think you can kill this function. Probably the auto stop can't activate due to too low a battery level. Mine didn't work on arrival until after a few weeks of driving.

I don't think you can kill this function. Probably the auto stop can't activate due to too low a battery level. Mine didn't work on arrival until after a few weeks of driving.

Ic.. Thank you!

To kill this permanently (sorta), install a dash cam and connect it to the fusebox. The dash cam's parking recording feature will confuse the Battery Management System and the auto start stop will not kick in until the car has "figured it out"... by which time you'd probably have stopped the car again and confused the BMS once more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If anyone of you can PM me on who i can talk to from their management please do. Thanks.

Well, my XE still rocks, and can overtake any, in a jiffy :D cheers.

Bro, check your PM.

Hi, finally had time to rectify the problems i pointed out in my previous mail.

1. Service Required message - Solved, the software needs an update (heard i am nt the only one complaining).

2. Rattling Window from Driver Side - Solved, was told they lubricated it (dunno what it meant) but i asked if it will reoccur, was told not.

3. Start/Stop - Not solved. Like Maxon88 pointed out, i have a dash cam installed, batt will never be full to activate the SS Eco SS function.

4. Got my Map updated, the MCE is different, unlike other tunnels, when u drive inside them the NAV page actually shows in in the tunnel, but for the MCE, its a plan view of your car driving along it, just like any other road.

Cheers guys.

Yes bro, do let us know if the MCE update is chargeable.

1) Squeaking steering wheel if you adjust it outside of its original position

This squeaking sound, I'm not sure if it's the same sound as I'm experiencing. After the car has been shut down for some time, I notice it sometimes makes a squeaking sound from near the steering wheel and then the Park Brake indicator appears momentarily on the display. Then later when I start the car, the squeaking sound comes back again.

I suspect this sound has to do with the electronic parking brake. Will ask Wearnes when I next go there and update you if I have an answer.

Hi

I had driven XE for 2 weeks and I observe some issues.

First, the whole cabin doesn't cool down despite having max a/c setting. The wind blowing out of the vent is cold. Also, setting the temp at 22 deg is not cold unless wind speed is 2. No much difference between 19 and 22deg as well. Previous cars, I have set at 25 and is colder than this.

Any solution to these or this is the limitation for both cabin coolness and temp.

Second, I have a diesel xe. I was travelling behind a heavy traffic, say 70-80kph. When the car in front clear up or I need to go up a slope of overhead bridge, I have to depress the accelerator slightly. (Cannot be too hard if not will bang into the front vehicle) with the slight depression, there is insufficient acceleration. The whole engine is vibrating 'violently'but seems no increase in speed or power. Running rpm is 1100 @80kph. There is no drop in gear to meet the required rpm to increase speed or power. I have to manually shift the gear which I think cannot be the perm solution.

Any solution to this? I was told by SE that the ECU is learning my driving style which is not possible.

for the TDI, you are best to keep within boost range for the pick up..... at 1100rpm@80kmh your car engine has drop out of the boost range and maintaining a 'cruise' mode or sorts.

so to take advantage of your diesel's torque, just lift off the pedal a fraction of a second, the rpm will drop and transmission will drop to lower gear and you can now pedal down and zoom off...

in my 2.2D XF i find the sweet spot around 2500-3200rpm. if you are too heavy footed it will also not work too well as beyond the range the diesel acceleration is pretty flat.

hope it helps.

On 11/10/2015 at 3:05 PM, scaredycat said:

I've just finished my first tank of petrol and I'll thought I'll share some thoughts about my ownership experience of my XE so far (2.0 Petrol).

It has been a fairly enjoyable experience so far, albeit with some mixed feelings from trading-in my old car, a Lexus IS250 Luxury.

Physically, it is similar to my IS250, with a low riding car, and similarly low seating position. From the driver's position, the visibility is fair and probably about the same as my previous car. The car seat is a lot firmer, and probably better for my back during long drives. From an ergonomic point of view, most of the things are where they should be. However, in my ideal steering wheel position, the speedometer dial is partially blocked. The small numbering on alternate markers makes it very difficult to read anyway, and I rely on the digital readout at the bottom of the display most of the time.

The rear layout is adequate for my purposes (one small sized child, and maybe an additional adult at most). I know a lot of you complain about the rear, but believe me, it is actually an improvement over the IS250, with additional knee room. If you need to transport a lot of people, suggest you look at something else anyway.

I really like the electronic tail gate, but the boot space is probably slightly smaller than it's competitors. I would have liked fold down seats though.

Features wise, the XE is probably about average. My IS250 had ventilated seats, a rear view dimming mirror and rear window roller blind as standard, which are options for the XE. The IS250 standard doesn't have any of those features BTW.

The Jaguar Infotainment system is quite well put together, and the navigation system works quite well. The local version lacks quite a number of features compared to the UK model, including the incontrol app, voice commands and wi-fi hotspot.

The audio system is barely passable, and I sorely miss my Mark Levinson setup. To me, the Meridian system is not really a viable option as this costs a whopping $8k extra. Traditionalists will miss having a CD player, but reading digital files from your phone / ipod / thumbdrive is the way of the future. Minus marks though for only having one USB slot.

Driving the XE is it's biggest plus point. The engine is powerful, acceleration is quick, and agility / handling is top-notch. There is very tactile feel to the steering and the suspension - you feel a good amount of the road, but bumps are quite gracefully handled. 

I am quite sure that the XE has been designed from the ground-up to have a more sporty and spirited drive. The engine has a nice low note and there is probably a deliberate decision to let you hear a fair bit of that engine in action from the driver's seat.

The weak spot of the driving experience is the auto gear box. It seems to be a little bit confused as to driving patterns. You can get a fairly smooth acceleration from standstill by being very gentle on the accelerator (it shifts at slightly under 2,000 rpm), but a normal driving pattern (I am considered a sedate driver by most of my friends) delays shifting to 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. The power delivery is not entirely linear, and this leads to plenty of drama when not called for. Hopefully, they get this reprogrammed.

Fuel economy is also about average, with about 12-14 l/100 km in city traffic, and 8l/100 km on highways. According to the car's eco data, my driving style is on average 95-98 % eco friendly.

Build quality wise, this car is about average. The panel around the gear selector makes plenty of squeaking noises around turns, and the QC is sub-par - I have fed back some of the flaws to Wearnes - nothing serious that cannot be fixed. However, these are obvious cosmetic flaws that should never have passed QC.

The eco stop-start did not work until two days ago. My guess is that the auxiliary battery was not sufficiently charged before then. 

In case you feel that this is not the glowing report you would expect, don't get me wrong. I love my car and think it is great. But I wanted this to be objective as possible, rather than an effusive declaration of love.

Would I recommend the XE to others ? No - If the person needs a practical people mover, and wants to feel pampered by a luxurious and cloud like ride. Yes - If the person likes a reasonably upmarket ride for normal office commutes, but enjoys a spirited drive when required.

Hi everyone, I'm a noob to jaguar. Chanced upon this post since long ago. Today is my 12th day of owning my jag so I thought I'd continue in bro's scaredycat's post. 

I'd like to share my experience with the jag so far. My post is by no means to counter or supersede his original post but more a reflection of my experience. 

I got myself an xe 20T prestige. White beauty. Loved the car at first sight. Test drove it and loved it even more. I agree with most of scaredycat's review about the car. There are some slight variances. 

1. Incontrol system without the ability to use Incontrol app is unacceptable! 

2. Audio system is definitely passable, especially after tuning the settings for bass and treble. I dunno if they did upgrade the speakers or system since 2015. 

3. Gear shifts up pretty decently but it's the downshifts that get to me. It causes jerks. I'm allowing the gear box which is newly used to have some time to wear in, after which I'm expecting smoother shifts. 

4. Fuel economy is fine for me. I'm getting 10 - 10.8 on average city driving on mostly normal mode. I rarely shift the knob to eco mode unless I'm on the highway. I expect fuel economy to improve after the gear box wears in. Many factors impact fuel economy. The tires fitted are 225 (front) and 245 (rear) run flats pirelli cinturato p7. They offer very good rolling so I'm keeping them. I'm my last experience, increasing rim size and getting low profile tires caused my fuel consumption to increase by about 20%. Second factor is weight - that's why I keep my spare at home in the store. Thirdly, I tell myself not to be heavy-footed. It's the starts from traffic junctions that actually gobble fuel. 

5. Build quality is typical or comparable to German cars but some argue it's not as posh. I agree. Being in a c-class will make you regret buying a jag. However, the ubiquitous c-class comes with a higher price tag and more expensive parts. Squeaky noises are inevitable sometimes but for my last ride, I found wd40 to be an absolutely amazing aid to get rid of such noises. 

6. My eco start-stop had no issues. Worked from the very first time I drove out of the collection centre. This however is somewhat annoying. The engine rattles awake and vibrates the whole car when it auto-starts. I tend to switch off the eco system at times because the waits at traffic lights aren't really that long. And if you'd accidentally turn the steering wheel even a little or adjust the ac to make it cooler or stronger fan, then the auto-start resumes. Moreover, will this frequent stopping and starting harm the engine or shorten it's life? 

This is all from me. Hope you guys can weigh in on your experiences. 

It's been a fairly bitter-sweet ownership experience ...

The Good

No major engine issues - car accelerates and generally handles like its first few months of ownership

Petrol consumption has held up very well despite the fact that I run them on low profile 19 inch rims. Anyone who feels that their XE doesn't really handle the way it should must consider using larger tyres !

The audio system has settled down and sounds quite decent compared to my initial experience. It won't win any awards for sound quality though and I still consider it to be an after thought for a car of this class.

The Bad

The lines of the car body are really scratch and ding magnets. The extremely fragile paint doesn't help. My car looks far older than it should

The QC of this car can only be described as sub-standard. I joked with the service people whether the plant workers were drunk ? He laughed and said I'm not the first person to pass that remark. Here is a list of defects :-

1. Large gash in the plastic trim below the steering wheel - this was apparent in all of the models at that time (including the showroom model !) - replaced

2. Sunglass holder can't open unless you press it at a certain angle - fixed

3. Glue stains on the roof lining - said they can't fix it without removing my solar film

4. Squeaking sound from the panel around the gear knob - fixed

5. Misalignment of boot, and the body kit - said they can't do anything about it

6. Squeaking sound from the steering wheel when you turn it - serviced four times in total. The last service was last week, they said they adjusted the alignment of the shaft which was off centre

7. Rattling from the driver side and passenger side doors - looked at, but they can't seem to find the problem

8. Car infotainment system keeps on hanging and rebooting - fixed

9. Loud squeaking sound from the rear wheels every morning for the first 50 - 100 m - traced to the rear brakes, fixed.

The gearshift doesn't seem to be programmed well and there is a sudden jerk moving from 3rd to 4th gear if you are going uphill. 

Thankfully the car drives very nicely so it isn't an all-bad experience. But those of you that are very fussy would likely blow your top. I'm quite easy going by nature but I do have good appreciation for quality engineering and manufacture - this just isn't one of them.

Hi Bro scaredycat, 

For no 7, since you had your car for two years now and are getting squeaking noises from the doors, try this: spray some wd40 on a soft cotton cloth and quickly run the cloth with the fluid on your door seals (both on door side and car). I did this with my old ride whenever the doors squeaked. It's caused by the worn out rubber rubbing against each other. If your problem is this, then wd40 will do the job. If indeed you get rid of the problem with this method, you'll have to simply repeat the process even 3 months or so. Good luck. 

It has been a month since I gotten my car and here are some gripes 

1. Speedometer is definitely faster than actual car speed (checked against GPS and also direct connection to its ODB port)

2. Door mirrors are acting up - I need to unlock, lock and unlock before the mirrors would fold back out

3. Fuel economy is terrible - quite light-footed (99% on Econ Score) but best I can squeeze out is 10km/L

4. Missing the Pre-safe Braking on my previous Merc - doesn't come as standard on the XE

5. Gesture activation on the boot is largely a hit-and-miss affair 

6. Start-stop has finally "died" - doesn't come on anymore (at least not over the last week) 

Hi, my virgin post. Owned the XE for a  year with mileage clocked >35,000 km. Not much of a problem except Start/Stop died after two months, which  I am happy about it. Always on the dynamic mode and heavy footed type, yet i still can achieve on average 9.5 km. Sound yes, from both front doors but who cares, it will be gone in no time when you hear the exhaust note... Lol

Overall, XE is a nice car to drive especially up North. 

Hi all, my maiden post in this forum as a new owner of a 2015 2.0 GTDi XF. Recently sent my cat to Wearnes for servicing and would like to provide both process improvement suggestions as well as compliments to the service consultant (I'm a strong believer that good service should always be lauded). 

Can someone please PM me the appropriate Wearnes email address that I can provide the feedback to? 

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, jellybean said:

Hi all, my maiden post in this forum as a new owner of a 2015 2.0 GTDi XF. Recently sent my cat to Wearnes for servicing and would like to provide both process improvement suggestions as well as compliments to the service consultant (I'm a strong believer that good service should always be lauded). 

Can someone please PM me the appropriate Wearnes email address that I can provide the feedback to? 

Many thanks!

If you go into Wearnes website, go into the "Contact Us" tab, scroll down and you can see a "FEEDBACK". I think that should work.