Darknight

Basic Queries

51 posts in this topic

Folks - The objective is to share and invite views for basic queries that one has when we get new wheels. For instance:

1. Fuel: What is the recommended Fuel for XF. I am aware there isn't much difference but any suggestions from the experts here will help. Preferred Fuel Brand and Fuel Type that goes best for Jag XF

2. In-Car Camera: I was thinking of bundling the deal with a camera recorded but Wearnes would want to sign and Indemnity for this for problems if any it may cause on Auto Start/Stop as this uses the battery. Any recommendations on this pls. I am keen to use the camera only for Parking lot (overnight). Are there recommendations for any that goes well with the XF and doesn't really need to be plugged to car battery.

Welcome Darknight.  Pls join us during our gathering.  This is what i am using:

1.  Fuel: I am using Esso 98. Also tried out Shell V-Power recently. But i guess i will stick with Esso 98 due to price of V-Power.

2.  In-Car Camera: I am using Blackvue 650-2ch powered by external Cellink B battery. If i switch it on during Parking mode, the Cellink B battery can last me for 20 hours before it runs out of battery when i don't drive for 1 to 2 days.

JaggerXF and Darknight like this

Thanks NewJag. Will explore the camera that you mentioned, I definitely would want something which is externally powered. Will check this out. I look forward to catching up all of you during the gatherings. 

Sorry to hijack your thread Bro, did anyone connect their camera to the ODB? Any problem if we do that?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Darknight likes this

For fuel, I would stick to Ron98 and above.

Wearnes are notorious for being very "niao" when it comes to their warranty, so for my car I specifically asked my SE to install their in car camera for me, even though the cost is exorbitant

I've heard horror stories of AD not honouring warranty when electronics are screwed since outside workshop has touched the car.

Esso 98 & Blackvue 650-2ch with Cellink-B.

Darknight likes this

Driving a XF 3.0 supercharged. My cat's seems to response well to Shell 95. Using itronic but planning to change to IRoad soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI, RON98 grade fuel is recommended for turbocharged cars. If you head across the causeway, the only recommended fuel for cars with turbochargers is V-Power.

In case if anyone asks, yes, I've tried using RON95 on a Silvia S15 (2litre turbocharged running 0.5bar boost) and the performance was immediately felt. Loss of power was more than 25%. And if you tried to gun it, engine starts pinging. Our 2.0 litre XF runs on 1.1bar of boost. Hate to see what happens when you gun it with RON95.....

The article is very much focused on costs. What they have not considered are the technical aspects of why there is higher RON ratings for fuel in the first place. The summary is straightforward. Higher octane fuel is really to cater to performance cars and to prevent engine pre-detonation (aka pinging) when pushing your car. Higher octane fuel is more stable and does not pre-detonate as easily as low octane fuel. Without going into the technical details, pinging is detrimental for any car.

For those seeking 'better performance' when using high octane fuel in a non-performance car, it is a complete waste of money and the marketing pitch around this is a fallacy.  

However, if you own a performance car, the octane level of fuel that you use is critical to the maintenance/performance of the engine. Using an extreme example....try asking a Ferrari owner to use anything less than RON97. His car will be in the workshop soon enough.

For all intents and purposes of this discussion, the Jaguar XF 2-litre Turbo can be considered a 'normal' car or a 'performance' car, really depending on your drive style. The maximum boost-pressure is 1.1bar, that is a significant number to begin with. If you do intend to use your max boost pressure from time-to-time, it is advisable that you go for high octane fuel. But if you never intend to push your car and really drive it normally (like my wife) with the turbo seldom kicking in, my guess is using lower octane fuel should not be detrimental.

My two-cents to this topic. Cheers guys!

pooschey likes this

To address the issue of AD (Authorized Distributors) not honouring warranty due to aftermarket installations, the gist is this. As long as the stock parts are not tinkered with (wires cut, tweaking of software, hardware changes etc.), there is no reason why the warranty should be affected.

The installation of dash-cams these days is a simple process. Take for example the installation of the Blackvue 650-2ch with Cellink-B (auxillary battery). The system simply taps off the primary battery for charging. This is equivalent to plugging in a cigarrette lighter charger in your car. No wires are cut, no tweaking of existing hardware.

My personal experience with our AD is that my aftermarket installation has no impact on my warranty status. I've sent in my car for warranty upgrades/repair, all with my aftermarket dash cam installed. At no time did our AD say that my warranty is void because of it.

Hope this clears the air a little on this issue.

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/authorized-dealers.html

I installed mine at:

Hai Wee Enterprise, 
    Blk 271, Bukit Batok East Ave 4,
    #01-140,   
    Singapore S650271
    Tel: 65665983

Darknight likes this

Esso 98 & Blackvue 650-2ch with Cellink-B.

Thanks, I have done the same now. Managed to connect Blackvue to external batteries instead of car battery, Makings use of the Cigar Lighter as charging point. Works Perfect !!

JaggerXF likes this

sorry to side track but can ask how much and which workshop to recommend for blackvue 650 2ch? 

Hi, I got this done a day ago at Autotrend, Toa Payoh Ind Park #01-1441, Singapore 319074. Neat work but doesn't negotiate at all on prices :(

The article is very much focused on costs. What they have not considered are the technical aspects of why there is higher RON ratings for fuel in the first place. The summary is straightforward. Higher octane fuel is really to cater to performance cars and to prevent engine pre-detonation (aka pinging) when pushing your car. Higher octane fuel is more stable and does not pre-detonate as easily as low octane fuel. Without going into the technical details, pinging is detrimental for any car.

For those seeking 'better performance' when using high octane fuel in a non-performance car, it is a complete waste of money and the marketing pitch around this is a fallacy.  

However, if you own a performance car, the octane level of fuel that you use is critical to the maintenance/performance of the engine. Using an extreme example....try asking a Ferrari owner to use anything less than RON97. His car will be in the workshop soon enough.

For all intents and purposes of this discussion, the Jaguar XF 2-litre Turbo can be considered a 'normal' car or a 'performance' car, really depending on your drive style. The maximum boost-pressure is 1.1bar, that is a significant number to begin with. If you do intend to use your max boost pressure from time-to-time, it is advisable that you go for high octane fuel. But if you never intend to push your car and really drive it normally (like my wife) with the turbo seldom kicking in, my guess is using lower octane fuel should not be detrimental.

My two-cents to this topic. Cheers guys!

Thanks, this is indeed useful information. Didn't realize that fuel was such important and based on driving styles too. My driving style varies on the day and the mood !! I guess I should go for moderate then- will opt for Shell 98 !!

JaggerXF likes this

Folks - Continuing with the queries. One more.

Is there a way to change the Ambient Lighting/Mood Lighting. I mean does the XF come with an option of changing the color of teh ambient lighting across a choice or we stick to the default. I have a blue ambient light. 

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/authorized-dealers.html

I installed mine at:

Hai Wee Enterprise, 

Blk 271, Bukit Batok East Ave 4,

#01-140,   

Singapore S650271

Tel: 65665983

Hi, Can you help share what is the capacity of the micro SD Card that you are using. What can be the maximum capacity that can be used ? Any recommendations for the brand of SD Card. 

Hi, Can you help share what is the capacity of the micro SD Card that you are using. What can be the maximum capacity that can be used ? Any recommendations for the brand of SD Card. 

I believe it's 64GB. But can't confirm. However, it is more important to get a High Endurance SD card (https://www.sandisk.sg/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd) for our dashcam. I purchased an ordinary Sandisk 64GB microSDXC and it died on me in less than a year.

Darknight likes this

Thanks, Ordered a 64GB Online- was informed that any Class 10, high speed would do. Have got REMAX 64GB, unfortunately the camera say card not found ? Will go through the camera manual to understand if any formatting needs to be done :)

Personally I would avoid blackvue for my next incar cam purchase, having owned the 400 and 500 series. Build quality is an issue for me. Would go for Thinkware.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pooschey likes this