ginza1960

Sticky and disintegrating buttons

Hi all,

Am driving a mid 2013 XF 2.2 diesel.  All the buttons on my console and on my steering are all disintegrating, ie the protective layer is getting sticky and can be scrapped off.  Has anyone gotten them fixed at Wearnes or outside?  Would appreciate any suggestion.  I hv scrapped the sticky stuff off a few buttons but they dont look good at all.  This is to me unacceptable for a car of such high standing.  My wife's 9 years old korean horse does not have this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Would like to know how to fix as well. My car after staying in wearnes workshop for 2 months, came back with the sticky buttons. I suspect it's all the parking under the hot sun that's the culprit.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 10/11/2017 at 4:57 PM, ginza1960 said:

Hi all,

Am driving a mid 2013 XF 2.2 diesel.  All the buttons on my console and on my steering are all disintegrating, ie the protective layer is getting sticky and can be scrapped off.  Has anyone gotten them fixed at Wearnes or outside?  Would appreciate any suggestion.  I hv scrapped the sticky stuff off a few buttons but they dont look good at all.  This is to me unacceptable for a car of such high standing.  My wife's 9 years old korean horse does not have this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, really want to know how to solve this issue. All the buttons are sticky, almost melting and when I contact Wearnes, they say it can be repaired for $500! My car is only 4 years old , and am told this is a standard issue with all cars from that period. In the newer cars, Jaguar has changed the materials used. This is then a manufacturing defect and shouldn't Jaguar fix this without any charge?

My outside regular mechanic checked the prices for me from Jaguar stockist.  Very expensive costing more than $1000 including the steering wheel black parts.  Going to live with it and meanwhile try and remove the stickiness by first scraping with a credit card and than using lighter fluid to remove the stickiness.  Dont look good but at least not sticky.  Too be brutal, I had a call from Wearnes for a survey... would I recommend Jaguar to my friends.  Guess the answer.  

Hi there, really want to know how to solve this issue. All the buttons are sticky, almost melting and when I contact Wearnes, they say it can be repaired for $500! My car is only 4 years old , and am told this is a standard issue with all cars from that period. In the newer cars, Jaguar has changed the materials used. This is then a manufacturing defect and shouldn't Jaguar fix this without any charge?

If you had join last Friday’s gtg, we would have share a simple diy to fix this. I believe it is also shared somewhere on this forum. Buy a solution to clean it. Do it gently. If there are markings, be super light and slow. Some of kakis in gtg have experience, I only heard from them.

It is Singapore weather. And also whether the car stays under sun long hours or not. Mine has not problem on the buttons even thou car is coming to 7 years.

I have 2013 XJ. Realised my sticky buttons problem is result of using leather cleaner, or dash board cleaner. These buttons can only be cleaned with cloth and water, nothing else. Otherwise the creamy polish leaves a coat on the button which becomes sticky when mixed with dust and air...  apart from replacement is to slowly “scrap” out the stickiness with damp lint cloth dapped with water. Have to use a clean portion of the cloth for every swipe. I tried using solvent (nail polish remover, window cleaner, etc...) the button marking will be erased off. Then you get rid of sticky but get a “botak” button with no marking. I spent 2 hours doing it in the cockpit with cloth and water until fingers cramped. At least it’s not sticky now and the button marking is still readable. 

9 hours ago, Merlion said:

I have 2013 XJ. Realised my sticky buttons problem is result of using leather cleaner, or dash board cleaner. These buttons can only be cleaned with cloth and water, nothing else. Otherwise the creamy polish leaves a coat on the button which becomes sticky when mixed with dust and air...  apart from replacement is to slowly “scrap” out the stickiness with damp lint cloth dapped with water. Have to use a clean portion of the cloth for every swipe. I tried using solvent (nail polish remover, window cleaner, etc...) the button marking will be erased off. Then you get rid of sticky but get a “botak” button with no marking. I spent 2 hours doing it in the cockpit with cloth and water until fingers cramped. At least it’s not sticky now and the button marking is still readable. 

Thanks for the sharing.

Hi all,

I have the same problem with my 2013 XF also.  Saw this solution on the internet and  tried it on my sticky buttons. It works !

-  Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda (can buy from local ABC store for $1 a box) with a little hot water to make a thick paste.  Wrap a cloth around your fore finger, dap the tip of the cloth with the baking soda paste and gently rub in on the sticky rubber coating.  After a while the sticky rubber coating will bind with the paste and be removed. (can a bit messy with all the loose bits and paste dropping off,) The paste does not dissolve or remove the markings and you will end up with a smooth plastic surface with the markings intact. I spent about an hour over the weekend to remove all the sticky coatings. (Do not use solvents or try to scrap off the sticky coating with scrapper/fingernails etc as the markings will be removed as well). My  little contribution to the forum. Cheers.

Thanks guys for all the various ways to clean up the mess. I have managed to test on a few buttons and so far looks ok. I scrapped off using finger nail and then use axe brand medicated oil with a cloth gently rub the sticky gooi stuff away. Looks shiny. Am just not happy why is it happening to a premium brand though. 

On 31/01/2018 at 7:03 AM, XFS said:

It is Singapore weather. And also whether the car stays under sun long hours or not. Mine has not problem on the buttons even thou car is coming to 7 years.

my car is parked mostly underground (in office and home). however, it spent easily 4-5 months in total in the last 4 years in Wearne's workshop. I think that has contributed to the deterioration of the buttons!

On 05/03/2018 at 5:23 PM, BJ8 said:

Hi all,

I have the same problem with my 2013 XF also.  Saw this solution on the internet and  tried it on my sticky buttons. It works !

-  Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda (can buy from local ABC store for $1 a box) with a little hot water to make a thick paste.  Wrap a cloth around your fore finger, dap the tip of the cloth with the baking soda paste and gently rub in on the sticky rubber coating.  After a while the sticky rubber coating will bind with the paste and be removed. (can a bit messy with all the loose bits and paste dropping off,) The paste does not dissolve or remove the markings and you will end up with a smooth plastic surface with the markings intact. I spent about an hour over the weekend to remove all the sticky coatings. (Do not use solvents or try to scrap off the sticky coating with scrapper/fingernails etc as the markings will be removed as well). My  little contribution to the forum. Cheers.

can you show how it looks like after the work?

On 11/10/2017 at 4:57 PM, ginza1960 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Hi, you guys can check out MintGroom Car Detailing at Millenia Walk Carpark Basement 1 (Yellow Zone). 

They do sticky buttons at affordable rate. Just did for my whole centre console area and they did a marvelous job and it looks like brand new all over again. 

Their contact is 8138-3125. Can look for Kelvin the shop in charge for more information. Cheers! 

On 11/10/2017 at 4:57 PM, ginza1960 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.