Sign in to follow this  
Loh_Meow

Steering Wheel Mod

I've always found the stock steering wheel a little too thin, despite my smallish hands. While I was looking around for alternatives, I stumbled upon carbon fibre steering wheel mods. I wasn't too pleased with the CF finishing, mainly because it was reflective and a tad too loud for my preference. I simply wanted a thicker wheel with more feel. The CF wheels are actually hard (rigid) to touch, unlike the stock ones which feel nice and soft.  I found a shop that could do custom wheel mods, and asked if they could thicken the wheel and add alcantara onto the top and bottom regions.

Not wanting any down time, I bought a brand new "S" steering wheel (first pic). This was incredibly difficult to find and I had to get one with the full suite of switches, paddles included. I fitted this onto my car and used it as the interim, then modified the original.

The end product turned up quite nicely (2nd and 3rd pics). It was not as perfect as I would have liked, but it was good enough. There were some regions where you could see how they padded and folded etc. But seriously, it's nitpicking. How does it feel? Nice, thick and soft, though a tad firmer than stock but still extremely comfy. I also specified red stitching, so that matched the seats and dash. 

The shop did mention that the job was unusual as most people wanted CF wheels, and those could be done overnight. My wheel took 3 tries over 2 weeks. I wanted the factory look, and I got it. This is going to keep me happy for a while until the next mod :)

20181207_171559.jpg

20190118_151641.jpg

20190118_170731.jpg

Almost did this, didn't want to in the end as CF is too reflective and the wheel feels hard. It's all a matter of preference. :)

On 1/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, Whitejaguar said:

Hi, this is mine.

12C637A9-407F-4E76-A08B-EF7D2020562E.jpeg

Hi, may i know how much did u do for this? And where? Robson? 

Thanks! 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, Monoant said:

Hi, may i know how much did u do for this? And where? Robson? 

Thanks! 

Hi, 

yes, Robson. $1000 plus. Price abit steep.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:20 PM, Whitejaguar said:

Hi, 

yes, Robson. $1000 plus. Price abit steep.

Thanks alot bro!