ThomasXF-SG

NAV for XF

97 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2009 XF Luxury and wonder anyone has installed a after-market NAV on his ride?  Would be nice to hear some pros and cons for doing so.  Otherwise any recommendation what 3rd party NAV is good and most importantly how/where to mount? TQVM

I used my Samsung google map when driving up north.  But I'm looking at a permanent mount device. Garmin, Papago, Holux or something. I need to know where's the best position or holder for it.  My choice is till have it on the display thou.. still exploring as someone say about approx. 1.5k.

Johneunice likes this

Thomas: I would suggest you check carefully before buying the set. I recently bought the latest Garmin device for my XF (June '13); and regretfully, I am still having serious reception issues / signal instability at many places on the console. Identical problem which I faced with my previous 5-yr old Garmin. its pretty frustrating. I was advised to move the device far away from the VDU, but not much significant improvement.

So caveat emptor -- there may be something about XF VDU (on some models) and its EMF shielding which seems to affect GPS signal quality.

I used my Samsung google map when driving up north.  But I'm looking at a permanent mount device. Garmin, Papago, Holux or something. I need to know where's the best position or holder for it.  My choice is till have it on the display thou.. still exploring as someone say about approx. 1.5k.

ThomasXF-SG likes this

I used my Samsung google map when driving up north. But I'm looking at a permanent mount device. Garmin, Papago, Holux or something. I need to know where's the best position or holder for it. My choice is till have it on the display thou.. still exploring as someone say about approx. 1.5k.

Hi Thomas. You may want to check with Autospritze on this. They can integrate a Garmon GPS into your display. All you need to do is to get a Garmin module GVN53. You can update your maps via a SD card easily.

ThomasXF-SG likes this

Hi Thomas. You may want to check with Autospritze on this. They can integrate a Garmon GPS into your display. All you need to do is to get a Garmin module GVN53. You can update your maps via a SD card easily.

will go check out. tks

Thomas: I would suggest you check carefully before buying the set. I recently bought the latest Garmin device for my XF (June '13); and regretfully, I am still having serious reception issues / signal instability at many places on the console. Identical problem which I faced with my previous 5-yr old Garmin. its pretty frustrating. I was advised to move the device far away from the VDU, but not much significant improvement.

So caveat emptor -- there may be something about XF VDU (on some models) and its EMF shielding which seems to affect GPS signal quality.

Tks.  Wll noted. So you settle for any problem free GPS in the end?

still got problem?? i placed my garmin on a friction mount, at the curve before it starts to climbs (to your speedo, etc). i get pretty ok signal there.

Just curious

Did you install vcool on your window?

Most if not all GPS devices will be affected by tinted glass. This is especially if you have not used your gps for last 4 hours (although some modern devices can last for at least a day), it need to have very good view of the sky to download the entire almanac data from the satellites, which can take up to 2 mins without disruption, if not it will keep retrying the download.<br />

<br />

You can actually go for those gos re-radiator, which basically an antenna that is placed outside your car, and in turn rebroadcast into your car cabin. <br />

Sent from my RM-937_apac_sea_977 using Tapatalk

The type of tint also affects the GPS signal.

The older tech of metallic tint had issues with GPS. They had to cut a hole to allow GPS to get a good signal.

Ceramic ones do not have such issues.

Am using the google map for sg, mapfactor (andriod) for offline. So can plan route at home or hotel. Then just put the phone on the display (note 3 is a prefect size)

But the autoapritze looks good.

My car is stock leh. No tint, no vcool nothing. (No money/time to sort it out!). Lol.

Signal is just unstable; I can lose the signal whilst driving along an open road. (No tall buildings to block signal either).

Interestingly, I have better signal on my iphone Google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to check location of GPS antenae.

For VW used to be the shark fin.

My car is stock leh. No tint, no vcool nothing. (No money/time to sort it out!). Lol.

Signal is just unstable; I can lose the signal whilst driving along an open road. (No tall buildings to block signal either).

Interestingly, I have better signal on my iphone Google maps.

Gps need antenae? How come all those standalone garmin type dont have. Even my running watch seem to work fine in the car.

Gps uses radio waves to receive information from satellites, so they have their own antenna, mostly built in especially in modern device. GPS device isn't really something you can just turn on and able to use it immediately.

Agree on the waiting portion. Need to wait Round 30 second.

Btw, anyone familiar with the inbuild gps given? While testing the car I tried but quite clueless...

Also, I look at Autospritze website, they didn't mention about integrated gps.. Or did I get the wrong one???

I found a shop and they quote me $1850 for GPS and reverse parking camera using the original head unit (sorry don't know the term). Any comment?

Thot reverse cam comes as std feature?

ya.. should ask them to quote just the GPS.. someone once quote me about $1k.. if i remember correctly..

For that price, a simple garmin 7" is less than $400

And easy to use.

Lifetime map updates too.